If you’re looking for the best stretch of unspoiled Cornish coastline, an uninterrupted view of the ocean and hidden coves filled with glittering waters, then Tolcarne Beach, a stone’s skim away from Newquay’s buzzy town centre, is the answer. This is why we’re packing our bags for Tolcarne this summer:
- Glorious golden sand - Sheltered by three cliffs that serve as nature’s wind break, this crescent-shaped sandy beach is perfectly positioned to soak up the rays. Together, these north-facing beaches – Tolcarne, Great Western and Towan, join up at low tide to form a mile-long stretch of soft, golden sand. Make a day of it and pick up a bucket and spades, sun cream and beach games from Venus Beach Shop, positioned at the foothills of the cliffs.
- Adrenaline fix - When’s the best time to learn a new sport? Last year. Failing that, start now. Try your hand at surfing the world-class waves, stand-up paddle boarding, kayaking, archery, volleyball, bouldering and initiative tests. Remember to take your underwater camera and capture the memories as you immerse yourself in the elements with the experienced instructors.
- Wholesome food - There are no disappointing Wimpy’s here - we love Tolcarne for the family favourites served up by the unique eateries on the beach, each with a different take on the exceptional, local produce. The award-winning Venus Café [www.lovingthebeach.co.uk/tolcarne] is the perfect beach-side hang out. Fast, tasty and wholesome food is order of the day, made with south west and often organic ingredients. Make a meal of it and enjoy a glass of wine on their decking to soak up that view.
- Dramatic clifftop walks - Teaming with greenery and wildlife unique to these shores, the clifftops offer panoramic views over the sandy cove, Newquay’s historical harbour and the resplendent headland. Bring binoculars and a camera as there are plenty of opportunities to catch a glimpse of rare birds. Sightings include red-throated divers, Sabines gull, Iceland gull and the great northern diver.
- Make a long weekend of it - Recharge your batteries and book a cabin with Tolcarne Beach Apartments, so you can wake up to the fresh sea air. With fluffy towels and Egyptian cotton bedding as standard, these rooms are bursting with life’s little luxuries.
Friday, August 11, 2017