The National Coal Mining Museum for England provides a great educational day out with a unique opportunity to travel 140 metres underground down one of Britain's oldest working mines with an ex-miner as your guide. It’s an eye-opening and unforgettable experience. Situated in a rural setting, the Museum offers an unusual combination of exciting experiences, whilst providing a genuine insight into the hard-working lives of miners through the ages. Free entry & free parking for everyone. £4 charge for underground tour.
Families are invited to get ‘hands-on’ as they discover more about the lives of coal miners through the ages – join our experienced miner-guides as you explore our genuine former mine-workings at Caphouse Colliery.
Get your hands dirty and experience life at the coal-face as it would have been for families in the early 1800s.
Discover how horses were once kept underground as you feed, muck-out and learn how to put their bridles on, all in our underground stable area.
Find out how miners were trained and experience genuine sights, sounds and smells of a working coal-mine.
Plus see working machinery and tools in action and more.
Before fans were introduced into the mines for ventilation, a fire would have been lit at the bottom of the shaft so that it acted like a big chimney, drawing fresh air down into the pit via the lift shaft.
The huge furnace shaft is now covered by a special, 3m wide toughened glass, set into the floor of the Lamp Room. It has been fully conserved to preserve it for the future. Will you peep from the edge - or stride boldly to the middle to experience being suspended above a 140m deep black hole? The choice is yours!
Visitors going below ground can also gaze from the bottom up as they start their underground tour experience; stand under the protective canopy and look up to the pinpoint of light at the surface. This huge historic shaft, really is something to behold…
Plan your visit - come rain or shine!
· Underground Tours and Furnace Shaft
· Interactive science displays and activities at Hope Pit and Hope Store
· Meet the Ponies in the stableyard
· Enjoy a stroll around the Nature Trail
· Find out about our innovative minewater treatment system using natural Reedbeds
· Explore our Galleries and Original Colliery Buildings
· Discover our Special Exhibitions
· Shop, Cafe and Picnic Areas
· 'Little Diggers' under 5s soft play
· NEW Adventure Playground
· Weekend & School holiday activities – meet our volunteers & living history characters
· Meet our resident Blacksmiths @ Hope Pit Forge
· Catch the train to Hope Pit during the Summer or take a short walk
· Miners’ Memorial Garden
Contact: 01924 848806